Timeline of the City's History : 1870Chicago's Busy Motor Row
What is now Chicago's busy motor row was this quiet boulevard. It is South Michigan Avenue looking north from Twenty-first Street. On the northwest corner is seen the home built by Frederick Haskell in 1869. The house next to it was occupied by Chauncey B. Blair; next to that of William V. Kay; then came the residence of John Doane; then Henry Keep, the father of Chauncey and Albert Keep; and then George Schneider, the banker. On the northwest corner of the Twentieth Street was the Second Presbyterian Church. The house with the turrets, on the east side of the street, was that of Uri C. Balcom, the lumber-man, and on the northeast corner of Twentieth, the old Calumet Club.
Courtesy of "Chicago and Its Makers" (Chicago: Felix Mendelsohn, 1929).